Sunday, October 12, 2014
Rewards vs. Punishment
As I was reading for this week, I noticed that one of the tips for trainers of the Functionalistic Theory was trainers should not punish learners who fail. After reading that, I thought to myself do some trainers really punish learners who fail?! I guess that was the teacher in me, because I immediately thought of my students, and I thought how could someone punish them for failing. As a teacher, when a student fails, it reflects on me, and I would never punish a student for failing. I would do everything I could to help them to succeed. Then, after I thought about it some more, I had to tell myself that we are talking about adult learners and not children. Even still, I don't think that adults should be punished for something they failed. However, in the workplace, if you fail to meet a goal, or you fail to do your job correctly, something needs to happen. And that raises the question rewards or punishment? I came across this article that discusses reward vs. punishment and what motives people more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow, I didn't think of rewards vs. punishment in that way. I just related it to the workplace and not with my students. I too would never punish any student for failing, I would punish myself for letting them get to that point.
ReplyDeleteWell here is a stretch example. In the world of sports, no matter if it is kids or adults, if you fail you are pretty much punished. What position does a baseball player play when he fails? THE BENCH! haha..
ReplyDeleteIt is a stretch but it's an example. Anyway, positive reinforcement and rewarding feels and sounds so much better.
Good point Steve. I like that example, and it's so true!
ReplyDelete