Sunday, November 9, 2014
It's All About the Test
Some of you may have heard my new favorite song by Meghan Trainor All About the Bass. Well I was thinking about it and teaching has become all about the test which brings me to my post for this week. As a first grade teacher, my kids do not have to take any state tests, however we are still feeling the effects of "it's all about the test." We are encouraged to get our kids on the computer as much as we can since when the PARCC comes around they will be expected to take the test on the computer. We are also encouraged to use the PARCC vocabulary so that they can be exposed to the type of questioning and vocabulary that they will be eventually be seeing on the PARCC. Thankfully, in first grade, we can still add some fluff to our lessons, and it's not ALL about the test, but I know in the testing grades it really is ALL about the test. I found this interesting article from The Press of Atlantic City that talks about how the convention this past week was focused on the test.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
LOVE that song and great remake! :) It played automatically in my head when I read the title. I loathe the "teach to the test" and really hate that it's become such a thing. I can't even imagine doing that to little first graders so I am really happy to hear that there is still fluff in the lessons!! Interesting article!!
ReplyDeleteI agree, very appropriate remake! I to don't participate in the testing as a related arts teacher but I am also suppose to relate almost everything I do to that test. It is a sad thing that education has come to the point of teaching to the test and not making our students well-rounded individuals.
ReplyDelete